Mr. Wilson was born in Equality, Alabama in 1923 and raised on the family farm.
In 1940 the family moved to Childersburg. Pat graduated from Childersburg High in 1941 and married in 1942. Working briefly with Mitchell Brothers at the Alabama Ordinance Plant in Childersburg, he finished the war years in Birmingham with Bechtel-McCone, supervising the repair and refitting of B-29 Bombers.
After the War the Wilson’s moved back to Childersburg, purchased a grocery store and gas station and added a truck for a rolling store.
In 1948 his brother Billy Smith joined Pat in what would become Wilson Brothers. The body on the rolling store truck was exchanged for a dump bed and they were in the contracting business. Next was added another truck (this one had a cab) and then a loader.
After a few additional pieces of equipment, Wilson Brothers Construction was ready for the Farm to Market Highway Projects of the 1950’s and early 1960’s. During this time, Wilson Brothers constructed the longest Farm to Market roadway in the program’s history (18 miles from Childersburg to Talladega).
With the end of the Farm to Market program Wilson Brothers diversified its construction operations to include grading, drainage, culverts, misc. concrete, base and paving. During this time, (1960’s) Mr. Wilson began his years of service with the Alabama Road Builders Association serving in nearly every position within the organization, including President in 1976.
Wilson Brothers continued to grow until it became a major force in highway and industrial construction in Alabama in the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s. During this period some of the major projects he was so proud to have completed, Race Track Blvd at Talladega, Base and Paving on AL 148 from Sylacauga to Millerville, construction of AL 77 from Talladega to Lincoln, construction of three sections of the Skyline Drive at Mt. Cheaha, and The Brookhighland and Grandview projects in Birmingham.
Mr. Wilson was also active in his local community, his church, the Masons, the City Council and as Director in the local bank.
Mr. Wilson retired in 1999 and passed away on July 1, 2002.