He was born and raised in Grand Forks, North Dakota.
After graduating from high school, he joined the Navy and was soon transferred to the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor to take a course in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. After his discharge, he returned to Ann Arbor and completed his degree.
In 1946, Mr. Dixon was hired by Ingalls Shipbuilding Corporation in Birmingham to work as a naval architect. While there, he met a man named John Harbert. They developed a friendship, and in January 1949, along with John Harbert’s brother Bill Harbert they became the first stockholders of Harbert Construction Corporation.
In the late 1950s, Mr. Dixon was instrumental in building 1,500 miles of natural gas pipeline, from Alabama through the Florida keys.
In 1967, he attended the Harvard Graduate School of Business Advanced Management Program for several months of intensive study with faculty and peers from around the world.
A member of the ARBA board from 1967 to 1974, Mr. Dixon was involved in road building for 38 years. During his time on the board he served in key positions, including president.
Mr. Dixon is well known for his involvement in the community. After leaving Harbert in 1986, he and his wife Peggy established the Dixon Foundation, an organization whose charitable goal is to help those who help others, and for the past 60 years he has been an active member of Highlands United Methodist Church.