Dr. J. Don Brock is Chairman and CEO of Astec Industries, Inc. Astec was founded in Chattanooga during 1972 and has grown into a family of 19 companies located throughout the United States and abroad. Astec’s 19 companies are manufacturers of specialized equipment for building and restoring the world’s infrastructure. Astec also focuses on the mining and energy sectors. These manufacturing operations are divided into four primary business segments: aggregate processing and mining equipment; asphalt production equipment; mobile asphalt paving equipment; and underground boring, directional drilling and trenching equipment. Additionally, the Other Group contains one subsidiary that manufactures equipment used for wood processing and recycling and one that is a company-owned dealership located in Australia. Astec’s innovation and unparalleled service and support have attracted a global customer base that relies on Astec’s “rock to road” products and technologies for virtually every phase of road building and related construction.
Dr. Brock earned a BS degree from the University of Tennessee in Mechanical Engineering. He then attended the Georgia Institute of Technology and obtained an MS in Mechanical Engineering in 1963 and a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering during 1965. Dr. Brock presently holds approximately ninety (90) U.S. and foreign patents on construction machinery and drying equipment.
Dr. Brock’s awards include:
- Man Of The Year, 1983 (National Asphalt Pavement Association)
- Engineer Of The Year, 1984 (Chattanooga Area Engineering Societies)
- Inventor Of The Year, 1988 (Chattanooga Area Engineering Societies)
- Hot Mix Hall Of Fame, 1996 (National Asphalt Pavement Association)
- Engineering Manager Of The Year, 1996 (American Society of Engineering Management)
- Private Partnership Award/Transportation Science & Ethics, 1997 (ATR Institute)
- Academy of Distinguished Engineering Alumni, 1997 (The Georgia Institute of Technology)
- Dougherty Award, 1998 (The University of Tennessee)
- Capt. C. D. Mitchell Award, 1999 (Chattanooga Manufacturers Association)
- Hall Of Fame Award, 1999 (Construction Equipment Industry)
- Entrepreneurship Hall of Fame Award, 2000 (The University of Tennessee)
- Ronald D. Kenyon Research and Education Award, 2001 (National Asphalt Pavement Association Research and Education Foundation)
- Dr. Norman McLeod Award for Innovation, 2003 (Ontario Asphalt Pavement Association)
- ARTBA Top 100 Private Sector Transportation Construction Professionals of the 20th Century, 2004 (American Road & Transportation Builders Association)
- Entrepreneur Of The Year, 2009 – Ernst & Young, Hall of Fame
- Engineer of the Decade, Chattanooga Engineers Week 2010
- Dr. J. Don Brock Transovation Award; September 11, 2012, ARTBA permanently honored Dr. Brock by renaming the yearly Transovation Award which is awarded to foster innovative thinking within the transportation industry and to publicly recognize proven innovators.